With Winter comes the cold, wet weather and cold and flu season. When it comes to illness prevention is always better than the cure so we’ve shortlisted some simple tips and tricks to help keep bugs at bay and your immune system in tip top condition!
Keep your home damp and mould free
Mould in your home can be seriously detrimental to your health. Wide spread mould means that mould spores will be entering your airways which can result in respiratory illness, asthma and even depression. Mould accumulates in damp, poorly ventilated buildings so here are some tips to control damp in your home:
- Avoid drying clothes indoors
- Leave the bathroom extractor fan running for longer to remove most of the moisture build up after a shower or bath
- After showering open the bathroom window and close the bathroom door until the moist air has cleared
- Wipe down condensation on windows (a window cleaner vacuum is ideal for this. If you use a towel dry it outside afterwards)
- Use lids on pots when cooking and use the extractor fan
- Air out your home a couple of times a day to remove the stale, damp air
- Have your curtains open during the day to let sunlight in
- Keep your home warm with adequate insulation, thermal curtains and heating (look for energy efficient heating options if possible)
- If you have a dehumidifier, now is the time to plug it in!
If you do find you have mould growing, spray it with white vinegar and wipe with a cloth as soon as you come across it.
Keep up the exercise
Cold, dark mornings are hardly motivating, but it’s important to keep up your exercise over winter for three key reasons:
- Regular exercise is great for improving your immune system
- Exercise helps to burn excess calories so you can enjoy Winter comfort food guilt-free
- Exercise helps to boost your mood and keep away the Winter blues
Here’s some tips for exercising in winter:
- Warm up inside before embracing the cold
- Make sure you have warm fitness gear if you’re exercising outside
- Switch to indoor exercising over winter – think yoga, Pilates or joining a gym
- Team up with a friend and motivate each other
Make sure you’re getting your five plus a day
Eating plenty of in season fruit and vegetables that are high in Vitamin C and Vitamin A will help to keep your immune system strong so that it can fight off those nasty pathogens!
High in Vitamin C: lemons, oranges, Capsicum, kiwi fruit, broccoli
High in Vitamin A: pumpkin, carrots, garlic, kumara and dark leafy greens
Give your immune system a boost with Artemis immune boosters
All too often we reach for remedies and rest too late, when we’re already ill. While Artemis products like Immuno Boost Tea and ViroGone speed recovery, they are strong immune shields and can help prevent illness in the first place.
Whether you prefer medicinal tea, oral liquids, tonics or oral sprays, Artemis have an immune shield to suit your needs.
ViroGone comes in two formats, an oral liquid taken by the spoonful and a concentrated oral spray. ViroGone Concentrate is a great for all day protection. Its handy format means it can come with you everywhere germs lurk – offices, planes, buses, gyms and schools. The well-rounded preparation includes powerful herbs of Thyme, Echinacea, Licorice, Olive Leaf, St Mary’s Thistle, Sage, Angelica, Lemon Oil and Fir Needle Oil.
Immuno Boost Tea is a traditional plant medicine formula of medicinal herbs that build year-round immune protection. It helps protect your upper respiratory tract against pathogens and is a blend of BioGro certified organic Aniseed, Plantain, Elderflower Blossom, Thyme and Sage.
Artemis also have a full range of immunity products especially formulated for children so your whole family can stay well.
In addition to the above tips, make sure you head outside for some Vitamin D and get sufficient sleep (8 hours a night) to give your immune system a strong fighting chance against Winter illness!